Tips from "A" Students
Tune-up Your Brain
Take a mental trip to your classroom.
- Read an encyclopedia article about something you
really like, like dolphins.
- Make a list of ten dolphin facts.
- Memorize those facts.
- How many windows are there in the room? Count them.
- How many objects can you remember in your classroom?
- Pretend you are the teacher. What is everyone's
name? Go down each row of desks and make a mental list.
- Draw a picture of your future house and everything
- Draw a picture of a space station and all the rooms
- Draw a picture of the Titanic from memory
- Draw a picture of your favorite scene from a book
or a movie
- Write about your future house and describe everything
- Write about a space station and describe all the
- Write about the Titanic. Pretend you were on the
ship. What happened?
- Write about your favorite scene from a book or
a movie. Pretend you are the star. What goes on?
Sensory Perception Tune-up
- Draw a smell map of the route you take home from
school. What smells do you pass? Garbage? Roses? Fast food? Chlorine
- Make a list of all the textures in your room. Soft
wool blanket. Rough wall. Sharp pencils.
- Make a list of all the sounds you heard at school
- Try out ten new tongue twisters
Self Esteem Tune-up
- Try a sport you've never tried before. Plan on
having fun. Don't worry about being good at it.
- Dress up as your future self in 20, 40, 100 years.
Try out being President.
- Imagine creating a game. Then make one up. Teach
it to your siblings or a friend.
- Create a crossword puzzle.
- Make up your own recipe. Test it on the family.
- Write a story where you're the hero.
Tips and ideas for this article were contributed by
Tasla.h 13, Melissa.s 15, Claudia.b 11, Lindsey.m 9, and Noel.d 16.